A State-Wide Competition for Young Musicians
The FReeZA Push Start competition showcases young musicians from around Victoria, giving them the opportunity to perform, gain local exposure, and win their way to a spot on the Grand Final line up. There’s also a bunch of cool prizes they can win from our generous sponsors (check out the prize list below).
Local heats are hosted by FReeZA Committees each year from March to August, with the winners going on to compete in Regional Finals from October to December. Winners from the nine regional finals then go onto compete in the grand final held as part of the annual Melbourne Moomba Festival in March each year. Each FReeZA Committee that hosts a heat is supported to ensure that FReeZA Push Start is not only a platform for young performers, but a platform for young event organisers and promoters alike.
The FReeZA Push Start competition is open to any style of music, including bands, soloists, duos, hip hop artists, electronic acts, acoustic acts, etc. It is of most benefit to artists performing original material. If you're a young musician and are interested in entering, check out the information below on how to get involved.
If you want to find out more about playing FReeZA shows, call the FReeZA Support Service on 03 9380 1277.
View a complete list of heats and Regional Finals in the 2015 Series of the FReeZA Push Start Competition across all areas of Victoria.
Getting involved in the 2016-17 Competition
This year's series of the FReeZA Push Start Competition will commence in mid March, with FReeZA committees all around Victoria already planning their local heats.
What type of acts can enter?
The FReeZA Push Start Competition is open to any style of music, including bands, soloists, duos, hip hop artists, electronic acts, acoustic acts, etc. It is of most benefit to artists performing original material.
How do I enter the FReeZA Push Start Competition?
Most FReeZA committees take part in the competition and advertise for young musicians to apply for a local heat. Find your local FReeZA committee here, contact them and find out when their applications open. Then download the Artist Application Form and Guidelines below, complete every section and submit it to your local FReeZA worker.
What are the guidelines for entry?
You should familiarise yourself with all of the guidelines before entering the FReeZA Push Start Competition.
Download the 2016 Artist Application Form and Guidelines here. The following are general guidelines:
- All members of the act must live, work or study in Victoria.
- Half of the members must be 21 years of age or under, with no members exceeding 25 years of age at the time of the first heat event.
- Any act that has won a heat event and competed in a Regional Final in any previous year is not eligible to re-enter.
- The act or its members must not have a recording, publishing or distribution deal.
- At the discretion of the FReeZA worker, the act must live, work, study or recreate in the City or Shire where their heat is held.
- Entry is free of charge, but participants must cover all costs incurred by travel and accommodation.