Use this cover letter template if:
- You're applying for a job that has been advertised
- You have some formal (paid) work experience
For sample cover letters designed for other situations, check out our Sample Cover Letters page.
Download this sample cover letter
You can use this sample cover letter whatever your level of education. It has been written for use by:
- Early school leavers
- Current high school students
- VCE or VCAL graduates
- Current university or TAFE students
- University or TAFE graduates
Features of this sample cover letter
The focus of this kind of cover letter is to prove you're able to:
- Meet the requirements of the job
- Make a positive contribution to the organisation or business
Key points of this sample letter are that it:
- Introduces you to the reader
- Responds to the requirements of the job
- Attracts the reader's interest and refers them to your resume
- Doesn't include too many “I" statements, which can disengage readers
What to include in a cover letter
A good cover letter should include:
- Your name, email address and phone number at the top of the page on the right
- The name of the business and the contact person's full name on the left
- A reference line (e.g., "Re: Application for Administration Assistant position")
- An address to the reader directly (for example, "Dear Mr. Moyle" - avoid using "To whom it may concern" if you can)
- An opening statement that briefly introduces you to the reader
- A main body that highlights your relevant skills and experiences
- A closing paragraph asking to arrange an interview
For more about resumes and cover letters, check out these pages:
Mobile: XXX XXXX XXXX
Mr Allan Moyle
John Smith and Associates
Phone: XX XXXX XXXX
23 April 2015
RE: Application for Trainee Administration Assistant position
Dear Mr. Moyle,
As a young and motivated individual I am extremely interested in submitting an application for the advertised Trainee Administrative Assistant position with John Smith and Associates.
In November 2013 I completed my VCE studies and also obtained a Certificate II in Business Administration. This has given me a range of practical capabilities that will meet the needs of this role.
While completing my VCE studies I worked part-time as a Customer Service Assistant for KSmart. My responsibilities in this role included providing face-to-face customer service and assisting on the floor with stock movements and visual merchandising. This position has given me key employability skills while also allowing me to experience working in a professional and fast-paced work environment.
With regard to my ability to meet the specific requirements of this job:
- Customer Service: Worked for four years in a face-to-face customer service environment providing customer service at registers, lay-by counter and on the retail floor.
- Reception Duties: Responsibilities at KSmart included answering incoming phone calls and assisting customers with phone-based enquiries.
- General Administration: Certificate II in Business Administration has provided training in the use of skills including filing, data processing, records management and writing communication.
My teachers and employers have commended me for my high level of interpersonal skills and naturally engaging personality. My motivations include learning new things and the challenge of meeting key objectives. My current and previous managers can be contacted to provide more information about my ability to meet the needs of this job.
I understand that you will receive a large number of applications for this role. I do, however, believe that my motivation, commitment and pre-existing skills will allow me to fit into your work environment and immediately start supporting the needs of your organisation.
I would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you to discuss my application at an interview. I have enclosed a copy of my resume for your consideration. I can be contacted at all times on the details provided above.
Thanking you in advance for your time,