Course credit


Course credit can help shorten your study time. Subjects you’ve studied or areas you’ve worked in could be counted as part of the course you’re applying for if they’ve helped you develop relevant knowledge and skills.

How does it work?

Course credit value depends on the kind of study you want to do, the study you've already done and the qualifications and experience you already have.

TAFE and Registered Training Organisations (RTOs)

A national qualification from a TAFE or RTO, whether you completed it or not, will be recognised at any other TAFE or RTO in Australia.

If you did any VET subjects at high school, they might also give you credit points to some TAFE and uni courses. Visit our VET page for more information.

Pre-apprenticeship courses

Pre-apprenticeship courses go for eight to 16 weeks and teach you the basic skills of your trade. Doing a pre-apprenticeship course can cut down your apprenticeship time by three to 12 months in some industries.

To find out more about apprenticeships check out our Apprenticeships & traineeships section.

Pre-enrolment courses

Pre-enrolment courses can introduce you to a particular area of study (e.g. nursing) and give you a head start on the skills you’ll learn in the actual course. For example, if you do a diploma at TAFE it could count for one year of full-time study in a similar degree at university.

To find out whether the TAFE course that you are doing (or have done) can count towards another TAFE or university course, contact the administrators at the uni or TAFE you're interested in.

Pathways programs

Pathways programs (sometimes called "foundation programs") are offered by universities or associated private training providers to help students get accepted into their chosen uni degree.

This is a good option if you didn’t get the marks you needed for entry to a course. Some pathways programs will give you credit towards the course you want to do and others are qualifications in their own right.

Contact the university you want to enrol in to find out if they offer pathways programs.

Changing area of study

If you transfer from one course to another at the same uni or TAFE you can receive credit points for relevant subjects. You should discuss your options with your course coordinator before applying.

Changing place of study

If you want to transfer to a course at another institution that's similar to the one you've already done (or partially done), universities and TAFEs will give you credit if the subjects you've done are the same or similar. To find out what kind of credit you can get for previous study, get in touch with course coordinator at the institution you're planning to change to.

Overseas study

Some universities will allow overseas study to count towards your degree. For example, if you enrol in a four-week intensive language class in Shanghai this could equal a year’s worth of Chinese classes at uni in Melbourne.

Talk to your course coordinator to find out what opportunities are available to you. You can also check out the Studying overseas page in our Travel & Transport section.

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)

If you haven’t completed the formal education or training required for entry to a course, you might be able to get recognition of your prior learning. This means other learning that you might have done at school or as part of a job you've had in the past.

For more details on how RPL works check out the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)'s Recognition of Prior Learning: An Explanation (new window).