What is an apprenticeship or traineeship?
An apprenticeship or traineeship is a training contract between an employer and an employee that lets the apprentice/trainee learn skills for a specific job or trade.
What kind of jobs can I do?
Lots of jobs can be done through an apprenticeship or traineeship. Our Career Profiles section has some interviews that can give you a taste of what's out there:
- Automotive tinting
- Fitter & turner
- Indigenous project officer
- Metal fabricator
For more ideas about the kind of jobs that can be done through an apprenticeship or traineeship, check out the search pages on the Australian Apprenticeships Pathways website (new window) to look for job descriptions and training options that match the industries or trades you're interested in.
What's the difference between an apprenticeship and a traineeship?
Some industries offer both traineeships AND apprenticeships, but others offer only apprenticeships. The main difference between the two is the level of job security.
In an apprenticeship:
- An employer agrees to employ you and support your training for the period of the apprenticeship
- You agree to follow instruction and attend workplace-based and/or off-the-job training
- If your employer sells the business, your new employer must continue your apprenticeship
- Once the probationary period of the apprenticeship is over, all parties have to agree for your contract to be cancelled
In a traineeship:
- An employer agrees to employ you and support your training for the period of the traineeship
- You agree to follow instruction and attend structured training
- If the business is sold, the new employer doesn't have to keep you on as a trainee
- Either the employer or trainee can cancel the contract without mutual agreement
The Department of Education and Training (new window) has heaps more information about apprenticeships & traineeships.
Australian Apprenticeships - My Gain
Watch video interviews with apprentices, trainees and employers to find out about the range of options out there for apprentices and trainees.
Free app to help students and jobseekers explore careers that can begin through an apprenticeship or traineeship. Search for jobs and training and get advice on apprentice and trainee rights.
Apprenticeships and Traineeships
The Victorian Government has a range of guides and resources about apprenticeships and traineeships in Victoria.
The Federal Government's apprenticeships and traineeships scheme (formerly New Apprenticeships).