Resume: Tertiary + No Work Experience
Use this sample resume as a basis for your own resume if you:
- Have completed (or are currently completing) a course of tertiary study
- Have little or no formal (paid) work experience
For sample resumes designed for other levels of education/work experience, check out our Sample CVs page.
Download this sample resume
If you have trouble with this sample resume, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Features of this resume
This resume template is designed to market you to employers who will be reading lots of applications from many other tertiary students and graduates.
A lack of practical work experience can be a challenge for tertiary students and graduates. This resume shows your professional strengths and skills by highlighting your:
- Academic achievements
- Demonstrated capabilities
- Work placements
- A marketing statement that connects your academic strengths and your personal qualities
- Key skills you have developed while studying
- Your education, including achievements that demonstrate your skills and capabilities
- Personal qualities and examples that show how you have applied these qualities
- Any work placements you have undertaken as part of your studies
- Any volunteer positions that demonstrate your skills and personal qualities
- A written testimonial that demonstrates your ability to transition from study to work
How long should your resume be?
This sample is two pages long. If your resume ends up three pages long, you're including too much information. Try shortening some sections or cutting some things out.
For more about resumes and cover letters, check out these pages:
Mobile: XXXX XXX XXX
Seeking graduate-level opportunity in a management consultancy firm
Personable and astute student with proven time-management and collaborative skills developed through internship programs and volunteer engagements. Highly articulate individual, confident working with diverse cultures and situations in which cultural awareness and appreciation are integral. Strong academic background, maintaining above-average results. Invited to participate as member of the Golden Key Honours Society. Knowledgeable and keen graduate with solid theoretical business understanding and some practical experience. Seeking opportunity to start a professional career with the long-term aim of working as a management consultant.
- Client engagement and support
- Report development
- Statistical analysis
- Business administration
- Proposal development
- Customer service
- Business development
- Records management
- Change analysis
- Process development
- Policy analysis
- As Is & To Be process review
- Process re-engineering
Software Skills: Microsoft Word ~ Microsoft Excel ~ Microsoft Outlook ~ Firefox ~ SDSS
2011 - 2013
Bachelor of Business (Commerce)
- 2013: Commendation: "Highest Academic Achievement" in Business Law
- 2012: Invited into Golden Key Honours Society in recognition of above-average results
- 2011: Commendation: "Highest Academic Achievement" in Statistics
- Effective Communication Skills: Articulate communicator with an appreciation for the different communication styles required when working with team members or customers.
- Honest and Reliable: Strong morals and ethics ensuring honesty, reliability and ability to responsibly undertake tasks.
- Flexible: Understanding of the need for flexibility in order to support last-minute demands and changes. Comfortable with changing environments and situations, ensuring ability to remain flexible and adaptable at all times.
- Time Management: Dedication to effective prioritisation and management of time by allocating tasks and recording activities in diaries and daily to-do lists.
WORK EXPERIENCE PLACEMENT
Smith Management Consultants (January - March 2013)
3-month internship with management consultancy firm supporting small businesses with guidance on business management and policy development.
Achievements and Contributions:
- Client Engagement: Worked with clients and provided general support under direct supervision of Management Consultant. Managed client files and followed up key actions.
- Business Administration: Assisted with general business administration tasks including responding to incoming enquiries and preparing proposals for clients.
- Report Development: Prepared reports following customer site visits and meetings. Accurately reported outcome of meetings while identifying tasks and activities that required follow up by client or consultant.
- Research: Undertook extensive research to develop an understanding of various legislation and regulations relevant to clients' requirements. Collated research into client files and firm's information library.
- Business Development: Contributed to reviews of marketing opportunities for sourcing new clients. Provided recommendations, including increased social media interaction, which were received positively.
- Process Development: Documented key processes for customers to assist with developing solid understanding of their capabilities. Reviewed all activities and provided As Is process maps.
"Genevieve worked with our organisation during a 3-month internship opportunity. We selected Genevieve for her mature approach to this position and her very strong communication skills. She did not let us down and over the 3 months she developed key skills while proactively contributing to the work environment. We wish Genevieve all the best of luck in her career and can strongly recommend her as an employee."
- Mick Smith, Director, Smith Management Consultants.
Melton Community Gardens (2011 - Current)
Worked in community gardens assisting members of the local community in planting and caring for allocated sections. Assisted with setup and preparation of community garden, including general repair and maintenance works.
St Vincent De Paul (2010 – 2013)
Provided support during various fundraising activities for local community group. Assisted at events and gatherings including providing suggestions to help meet fundraising targets. Personally attended various events, including spending time with homeless youth in Melbourne CBD.
St Vincent De Paul Society
Phone XX XXXX XXXX
Melton Community Gardens
Phone: XX XXXX XXXX