Advance is a fantastic school-based program that encourages you to get actively involved in your local community.
If you are in Years 7 to 12 at a Victorian Government secondary school, you can get involved in the Advance program and have the chance to develop your leadership skills while having fun.
What sort of community activities will I do?
There's a whole range of activities young people are doing with lots of different community organisations. There are heaps of programs for you to choose from. For example, you can:
- participate in a conservation program
- get involved with the emergency services
- help your local Surf Life Saving association
- help the Red Cross
- undertake animal welfare projects
- run a community radio program
- conduct sports clinics for primary school students.
Is my school involved?
To see what schools are involved, visit the Advance page on the Department of Health and Human Services website. If your school is not involved, speak to a teacher, co-ordinator or school counsellor and ask them to look at the program. It's not a competition to get a grant for your school or anything like that – any government school can become involved!
If your school is not involved and you'd like to become a part of the program, tell your teacher about it today.
How will Advance benefit me?
Hopefully, by participating in this program:
- You will develop skills to participate in your community.
- You will be engaged in community activities.
- Communities will support your engagement and participation.
- You will have something great to add to your resume or uni or TAFE application!
To find out more on how Advance can benefit you, read some case studies of Advance in action and read on to see what other young people have been doing in their community and how it has had a positive effect on their life.
If you have questions or want more information about the Advance program, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What some schools have done as part of Advance
There's heaps of different things that schools have done as part of their Advance program. Here's just a sample of school project profiles.
Department of Human Services - Advance Schools Program
The Victorian Government's DHHS website provides an overview of the Advance program.